I love to sing and I’ve yearned for years to sing to my child. I thought of all the wonderful, meaningful, beautiful songs I would sing to him at bedtime.
Since having the baby, I’ve been surprised by how many weird songs I find myself singing to Ash.
Here’s a sampling of the lullabies that I’ve sung to Ash this past week. Read: Why I will never be asked to make a children’s CD:
- The Inspector Gadget Theme Song
(Since I was a child this song has plagued me…Go gadget go).
- O Christmas Tree
- Everything’s Gonna Be Alright- Bob Marley
(During midnight red-eye feedings)
- Edelweiss– Sound of Music
- Twist and Shout– The Beatles
(Because it has the word ‘baby’ in it?)
- Darth Vader’s Theme From Star Wars
(Normally when I’m going to change his diaper. Does this make me a loser and a creepy mom?)
- Circle of Life– Elton John
(One of His Favorites and proof that he takes after his cool aunt Brandie)
- Happy Birthday…in Mandarin (Ash loves this one. Maybe he will have an afinity for Chinese Culture…or maybe just Sesame Chicken. Here’s the story: I used to work at a Chinese restaurant as a hostess. They always had requests for the staff to sing happy birthday. They taught me how to sing happy birthday in Mandarin. Most customers were really disappointed when a short white girl showed up to sing Happy Birthday. I think they were imagining something similar to the rendition of “Deck the Halls” in the movie “A Christmas Carol”)
- Abide with Me (Read the lyrics here; they will bless you)
(Okay more normal… I felt so scared and terrified when we first brought him home. I haven’t been able to get through this one without weeping since I’ve had him).
- “You are My Sunshine”
(My parents sang this to me all the time as a child. Ash loves it and it’s proof he has Rodgers’ genes)
- Trololo – Eduard Khil (watch the video here)
(Okay, so I don’t sing it to him, but Doug and I have showed Ash the video and he loves it…Doug does a pretty convincing rendition)
- “Stay Awake” — Mary Poppins
- “Raptor Rap” –Robin Williams in the movie “Mrs. Doubtfire”